Thursday, December 16

Body: Battling the Stretch Marks

When I first realized I was pregnant, I remembered terrible stories I heard about stretch marks. It was only last year that I first saw what bad pregnancy stretch marks look like. Weird, I know. But my mom never had them so I didn't really know what bad stretch marks are. I always thought they were just those silvery marks around your thighs... yes, those I have. So imagine the look on my face when I saw actual pregnancy stretch marks. My mind went into "Must. Avoid. Stretch marks." mode.

I started reading about what causes them, and what you can do to prevent them. Well, stretch marks are scarring that are caused by the rapid growth of the skin, and if your skin is not that elastic, then stretch marks are more possible. Most say that pregnancy stretch marks are hereditary, so if your mom had them when she was pregnant, chances are, you will have them as well. Although my mom did not have tummy stretch marks, I was not 100% relieved. You see, I never had the habit of putting body lotion daily. So it made me think twice of getting into it as early as possible.




My friend gave me her remaining Belli Elasticity Belly Oil. She said it worked for her, and I was so thankful. It came in lavender scent, which was a great plus. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the spray nozzle. When you spray it on your palm or on your tummy, oil squirts all over the place - and I mean all over... even on the walls. My husband had to reseal and repaint our walls to make the oil stains disappear.




Right now, I use what my mom used while she was pregnant.

She recommended just plain old baby oil. It was immensely cheap compared to the Belli brand, and I found the scents really appealing. I personally loved the cocoa and shea butter one. It smelled so good I wanted to put it all over my body, and it was not too greasy.

I apply it every night after taking a bath to seal in the moisture. Every morning, I apply Cetaphil moisturizing lotion as well. Whenever my tummy is really itchy, I put lots of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. That one is so greasy though but it soothes the itchiness. So there. My new daily regimen.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...