Thursday, July 28

Design: One Farmhouse (Part 1)

Have you ever dreamed of getting out of the hustle and bustle of the city like Manila anytime you want? My folks made it happen. It all started with a tiny farm lot with several mango trees situated in Pangasinan, somewhere in the northern part of the Philippines.

They collected used hardwood pieces like narra, kamagong (ebony) and molave from old houses, and recycled them as flooring, beams, columns, etc. They also made use of capiz shells for the windows.

The house's entrance has a bridge connecting the garage area to the main door. Take a look closer and you'll find that there is a small moat under the bridge. This serves as extra drainage system from the excess water from too much rain that the Philippines usually get... and from the water feature on the side wall on the right.



The entrance to the house is surrounded by a couple of trees. My mom put up outdoor lanterns on the trees that resemble lit fruits. There is a wishing well on the left, which is where the excess water passing through the moat goes to.




Here's the wishing well up close. It comes with a pail. It has a screen to prevent accidents from happening, although it's not very deep.




The door has inlays of ebony wood, and capiz transoms. The sides are made of slender bamboo poles (I think, I might have to confirm with my designer dad). The side slats are made from yakal (another hardwood).




Yes, there is a waterfall on the side stone wall. It has pockets of plants and a seating area too.



My feeble attempt at using a slow shutter speed:



I really love the effect of using a slow shutter speed...



More stuff from this one farmhouse soon.

 
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. hi nice blog=) you are so lucky you have this great farm house, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for both compliments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome!!! Paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vel! Come visit when you're in the Philippines. Hehe

      Delete
  4. My mom, my sister and I decided to build a farmhouse in Isabel Leyte last year 2012 and luckily we did started it last April this year. Until now I have no idea what is the result of our PAYAG but am hoping (hopefully..) it'll finish soon. I let my mom read your story and watch your pictures "above" and we both liked it! The Tree lights gave us a hint to beautify our farmhouse but unfortunately it's still under construction. Our house is 90 percent made by Acacia and the land surrounds with lots and lots of coconut tree how, I wished it's mango but it's coconut and yah I guessed that's the reason why I stop by on your blog.

    Your farmhouse is one of a kind and a bit interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Grace. Thanks for your kind words. I hope you can send some pictures of your farmhouse. I would love to see them.

      Here are my other farmhouse posts if you'd like to see.

      http://fortyweeksandthensome.blogspot.com/2011/09/design-one-farmhouse-part-2.html
      http://fortyweeksandthensome.blogspot.com/2011/11/design-one-farmhouse-part-3-post.html
      http://fortyweeksandthensome.blogspot.com/2012/09/design-one-farmhouse-part-4.html

      Delete
    2. Sure but the photos is quite not pleasant because I currently captured working guys and I thinks it's awkward but yeah sure why not. It would be nice if I could share some finished one.

      Delete
    3. Hope you like it Ms. Ging :)

      www.officialegleelal.tumblr.com/fh

      Delete
    4. It's always nice to a house under construction. You're lucky to witness it. :) I can't wait to see the finished product.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:25 PM

    who's the master designer behind this beautiful house? as an architecture student, i appreciate the concept, incorporating both modern and vernacular architecture...

    by the way, you got a beautiful daughter there... and a beautiful sister too:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...